Public Works Department - Sanitation Division

Residents that have questions or concerns regarding the curbside collection of trash, recycling, yardwaste
or bulky/metal waste, or want to schedule a pickup for eligible bulky/metal items, please call 860-647-3200
and select Option #1

NEWS2015 Household Hazardous Waste Collection Dates Available click here

NEWS2014-2015 Bi-Weekly Recycling Calendar now available click here

NEWS: Manchester Transfer Station adds Textile Recycling on December 1, 2014 click here

NEWS: Additional Materials added for Curbside Recycling Collection on February 1, 2014 click here

NEWSNew Commercial Disposal Fee Scheduled Effective January 1, 2014 click here

NEWS: Statewide Paint Recycling Law Takes Effect on July 1, 2013 click here

NEWSManchester Police Annouce a Permanent Prescription Medication Collection Box click here 

NEWS: Free Electronics Recycling now available to all Town Residents click here

NEWS: Have you received an Customer Education Tag? click here to learn more

Residential curbside trash and recycling collection is provided Town-wide on a contract basis awarded through competitive bid to a private firm. Refuse is disposed of at the Mid-Connecticut facility of the Connecticut Resource Recovery Authority in Hartford.

The Town owns and operates a landfill that accepts bulky and special waste from throughout Connecticut.  The landfill was issued a new and revised permit by the State of Connecticut Department of Environmental Protection for a vertical expansion in December 2003.  The Town was recently awarded a permit extension to operate the Landfill through 2025.

Landfill operations and the cost of residential refuse and recycling collection are funded through the Sanitation Fund.  The fund is a self-supporting enterprise, primarily funded through commercial tipping fees. 

The Sanitation Division is responsible for the oversight of refuse and recycling collection contracts, the operation of the Town landfill, leaf composting operation, recycling transfer areas, and the operation of the Capitol Region East Operating Committee (CREOC) Household Hazardous Waste Collection facility. 

For General Curbside Collection Questions/Complaints, please call : (860) 647-3200, option 1.
For Bulky Waste Collection, please call: (860) 647-3200, option 2.
For Recycling Questions, please call: (860) 647-3200, option 3.
For the Manchester Landfill, please call: (860) 647-3200, option 4.

For Landfill odor complaints, please call phone number: (860) 647-3257.
Please call this number if you have an environmental complaint concerning the Manchester landfill.
Complaints typically are odors, dust, litter, traffic, noise, or drainage impacting your property.